Change Foods is a U.S.-Australian food tech start-up creating animal-free dairy foods by leveraging precision fermentation technology, starting with cheese. By harnessing the power of microbes instead of animals, we are producing animal-free dairy foods that are indistinguishable from their animal-based predecessors in taste and texture, while delivering better-for-you and more sustainable products. Join our incredible crew of passionate scientists and build a better food future!
We are setting up a new cutting-edge R&D Biotech Innovation Centre at BioCube San Jose, CA, and are now expanding our scientific research team!
We are at the cusp of the next revolution in food technology, and are working on some of the most exciting scientific discoveries of our generation. We are looking for a talented research scientist with expertise and experience in the field of Microbial Lipids and Aromatic Compounds Chemistry, as well as someone who believes in our mission and wants to be a part of the team.
- Work closely with our CTO and staff and perform project specific tasks relating to Microbial Lipids and Aromatic Compounds production, extraction and characterization
- Perform microbial cultivations under optimal induction conditions
- Test different microbial systems for their ability to produce the different lipids and aromatic compounds
- Design, develop protocols and high throughput screening , and subsequent assays depending on the strain and compound
- Test different carbon and nitrogen sources and ratios
- Scale up and optimize cultivations at the laboratory scale up to 0.2L
- Perform and test different extraction methods to determine the most cost effective and scalable process
- Perform full analysis and characterization of the different lipids and aromatic compounds; experience in Food Science will be advantageous
- Perform and apply different mutagenesis programs for strain improvement
- Contribute to scalable SOP development
- A self-starter who can work independently and as a key member of the team
- A problem solver who can improvise and come up with creative solutions
- A fast learner ready to roll up your sleeves and get going
- A minimum of a PhD qualification with the relevant science background and research/industrial experience
- Strong experience working with different strains such as bacterial, fungal and other oleaginous microbial systems
- Strong experience in microbial cultivations and subsequent characterization depending on the strain and bioproduct/s
- Strong experience in lipid and aromatic compounds extraction, analysis and characterization
- Experience in the areas of Genomics, Proteomics, Metabolomics
- Ability to work independently, competently and professionally
- Great attention to detail and ability to troubleshoot quickly
- Passion for sustainability and creating a future food system that is kind to people, animals, and the planet
- U.S. work authorization
- Teamwork: we love to discuss and share ideas, solve problems quickly and collaborate
- Work ethic: we work hard and focus on the goal – we get things done
- Diversity: we are a diverse and inclusive bunch and proud of it
- An opportunity to shape a better future and be a part of a dynamic team of passionate entrepreneurs and scientists blazing a trail at the intersection of science and food
- Collaborative and supportive work environment
- Opportunity to develop new skills and take on a leadership role
- Competitive compensation based on experience and qualifications
- 80/20 Best-in-Class health insurance
- Paid time-off/vacation
- Company sponsored 401(k) with company match
This is a full-time onsite position at BioCube San Jose.
Learn more about us at www.changefoods.com and follow us on social.
Ready to join us?
Please submit your resume and cover letter in the field below.